Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Photography for Photography


I had just sold two pieces of work from Body Continuum, feeling fly with a pocket full we went antiquing.  The list was small; A thimble to use (did you know people collect these finger condoms and actually pay up to a hundred plus dollars!?  I got mine for a good quality dollar).  A bunt cake pan because I was not going to pay the $25 Target was asking for.  There used to be 3 in every old lady kitchen!  Where did they all go?  Last but not least a sugar bowl.  With my shovels in tow the mission began only to be diverted by the very first stop.   Jennie, Sarah and I were quickly distracted by three daguerreotypes behind the glass.  The key quickly arrived, as did my excitement.   I was trying to hide my delight to get a deal with a lot of hmmm and awing.  Ultimately I knew they were coming home with me.   Three daguerreotypes; Two at 2.25in x 2.75in and one at 3.25in x 3.75in and one of these ladies looks like a little boy dressed in girls clothing.  You think, no way, but yes, there is a high probability she indeed was a he.
While cruising the streets of Dublin, Ireland our lady guide for the day was quite informative.  Among the many factoids she said that most boys (way back in the day) were dressed as girls so the angels would not take them away.  Probably due to disease and such.  This would go on for sometimes up to the age of 10.  Now did I check on the validity of this story?... of course not.  Who knows, maybe they were originally Yeats’ Stolen Children.  I’m still going to go with the idea that the daguerreotype that I have is really a he. 

Boy or Girl?
3.25 x 3.75 inches

 2.25 x 2.75 inches

2.25 x 2.75 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment